Thursday, October 19, 2023

Mount Up!

 


A little music to mount a tire by. As the old dude said in the Tom Selleck movie I watched recently: "Take your time. You'll get a more harmonious outcome."


And it worked, too. I went two out of three falls with the Dunlop and came out on top. I put 45 pounds of air in it to make sure the bead seated properly. I'll check it later today to make sure it's still holding at 45, but I'm sure I didn't pinch the tube. 

If money was no object, I would get the hub powder coated and get the rim relaced with stainless spokes. I've laced a wheel or two, but again, if money was no object, I'd send it out and let a pro do the lacing. But as my old saddle pal used to say, money is no object, it's the subject.

There was a comment a couple of posts back on how nice these wheels look, and I have to agree. The wheel is stamped Made in Italy on the inside, indicating that it's a Borrani. The high valance, drop center wheels do look nice on these Sportsters. There's a short history of Borrani motorcycle wheels here. There's also a photo of a real nice looking Aermacchi with a high pipe, solo saddle, headlight grille, and, of course, high valance Borrani rims.

2 comments:

MARSHALL OVERCLOTH said...

those wheels are amazing. I would keep it in your living room and never get it dirty. throw some of your furniture our and make a dedicated display area. tell your wife the kitchen table will need to go for the next bike, and so forth.

Shop Teacher Bob said...

I'm thinking that wheel needs to go back under the Sportster so I can actually ride that thing. As far as the wife goes, she's had enough motorcycle and car parts in the kitchen over the last 50 or so years. She's pretty tolerant, but there's a limit.