Sunday, October 8, 2023

More Rack

 


I got the tubes fit-up inside the outer frame yesterday for the Sportster rack. Pretty straight forward cutting and coping. The pieces are just tacked in. I had some trouble seeing what I was doing when welding, though. 1/16" tungsten and .035 filler should be exactly what the doctor ordered but with the low amperage, my view through the helmet was too dark. I'm going to see if I have a lighter shade I can swap out before doing the finish welds. Again, silver solder is still an option. I'm planning on making a couple of tabs to bolt the rack to the license plate bracket today. When I get the back tacked together I'll have a better idea of what I need to make for the front bracket that will mount the rear seat bolt and cover the two holes in the fender.

Looks like it's going to be chilly for a few more days - temps in the forties early in the morning. I pulled out the heavy coat to mow the lawn yesterday. Probably have to mow only once more with the colder temps and shorter days. I'll be shoveling snow before too much longer.

2 comments:

MARSHALL OVERCLOTH said...

nice stainless rack, looks good. you can be a honey delivery guy business on your vintage beautiful Sportster. wear a Bee outfit.

Shop Teacher Bob said...

Not so sure about the honey delivery guy but if I can figure out a way to make the drag pipes sound like a bee buzzing, might be willing to give it a try.