Monday, March 18, 2024

Welding Razor Blades

 


The grandson came down yesterday to try something he had seen on a welding video: stick welding razor blades together. He bought some 1/16" E-6013 rods and some razor knife blades and gave it a try. This was his best effort. Ain't very pretty but it's stuck. This is something I've never tried but having done all kinds of welding on all kinds of things, I'm not sure I could do any better. 

He seems to be enjoying his time at the college - got good grades the first 8 week session and starts again tonight. One of the classes he's signed up for is the one I just finished teaching. He's planning on taking the online class but I don't know how that's going to work out. I'm going to talk to the boss and see if there has been any improvement. If not, I can help him with it. One of my objections to online classes is there is no way of telling who is actually taking the class. I used to have my wife type my papers for me. Now she could take the online class while I was at work. Yes, I wouldn't have learned anything but I would've gotten a decent grade and finished my degree objective just that much quicker.


While the grandson was welding, I cleaned up the mill and the lathe and then bolted down the rotary table. It's centered up within a half-thousandth. That should be close enough for the girls I run with. Maybe look for the cutting bit today and if I find it start making a shift lever.

2 comments:

MARSHALL OVERCLOTH said...

coincidently I randomly scanned through this video and saw this- go to 7:25 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ho0oc4XlGpU

Shop Teacher Bob said...

A miniature carbon arc torch - pretty slick. Thanks for the link.