Thursday, January 3, 2019

Golden Gloves 1940



I'm working on putting the finishing touches on the family history project. I started collecting information way back in 1977 or so - inspired by Alex Haley's Roots as were so many others. I'm really glad I started working on it when I did because I was able to get first hand knowledge from my grandmothers and other family members. Not only did this simplify the research, it allowed me to get to know my elders much better. No royalty or anyone famous in the clan, just common folks trying to do the best they could. Looking back, a couple of black sheep but mostly all good people, though. Other than my one aunt and her husband the dentist, I think my older brother and I were first of the family to get a college degree. Not all that surprising I suppose. My dad's generation could make a good living without one and my generation could get one by working part time jobs and graduate without a ton of debt.

That photo above is of my dad training for the Golden Gloves. That photo actually appeared in his local paper (and soon to appear in the family history book). He went on to win the championship in Michigan City, Indiana and then fought in the Tournament of Champions in 1940 in Chicago. He's listed in the program above fighting in the 147 pound class. He was a tough old bird but he never really talked much about his boxing career, his Army service or how things were for him growing up. He was born in 1920, so his formative years were during the Great Depression and from what I've learned over the years, his father wasn't the greatest role model. My Pops turned out to be a pretty right guy, though. I think Mom gets most of the credit for that, however. The same thing could be said for my house also.

I've decided to add another generation of the relatives to the book before it goes to press, so I've got to contact a few more people for some birthdates and other things but it's time to put this job to bed. It's been a fun experience. I'm glad I took the opportunity to talk to the old folks when I did. Unfortunately, as I finish this thing if I have a question now, there's no longer anyone to ask. Everyone except two of my aunts - one of my dad's sisters and one of my mom's sisters - are gone. That makes myself, my brothers and my cousins the old generation now. We've become the elders. And if it's the job of the elders to pass along the history and traditions, at least I've done my part in keeping the memories alive of those that made me and mine what we are. 

I would suggest in this age of digital photography, print out some of your family photos and identify the people and when the photo was taken. Also, whenever the technology changes, update your files to the latest storage technique. Genealogy research is much easier today. If you are considering starting a project, talk to your family members, tape record your conversations, and start yourself a  genealogy chart. Ancestry.com is having a promotional sale now. $49.00 will get you six months and you can enter your info and hints will start popping up with records applying to your clan. If you get your DNA tested, you might find relatives that have been working on the same project that you can share information with. 

2 comments:

Surly said...

I acquired a spare computer for cheap. I also have a negative scanner. You should set it up and scan all the old negatives we have.

Shop Teacher Bob said...

Good idea - maybe after I wrap up the family history project. I'm bound and determined to get it finished and sent off to Dave. All most there.