Saturday, January 12, 2019

Let it Snow

Winter has arrived. It's snowing now and it looks like a total of maybe four inches will be heading my way. I don't have anywhere I need to be, the wife baked cookies last night, I've got books to read, so I'm set.

My wife tipped me off to the obituary of one of my old bosses from way back. I worked for him at his welding shop back in the 70's. This was the last full time job I had before I started my teaching career. It was a great place to learn the trade. The shop did a lot of trailer hitches, ornamental iron and general fabrication and repair. The money wasn't the best but he was a decent guy to work for. He took all of us and our wives out for dinner at Christmas and wrapped up the evening with a bonus check. He had a nice place outside of town with a pool. We all went to his house one Saturday morning to clean up the place - paid us time & a half - then we all came back with our families later that day for a party. I worked a couple summers for him after I started teaching as well. RIP Adolph.

I dug out the print Surly made for the BSA sidecovers. I need to pick up a 2x8 so I can start making a hammerform for those. I can do some of that work down the basement where it's warm, so I'll pick one up next week after the roads dry out. The new pickup seems to slide around fairly easily. Either I need to get some weight in the back of it or stay home when it's slick out. Staying home is my preference.

I see where more stores are closing. I can see why. I ordered a tire and tube for my recumbent bike from Amazon. It takes a 26 x 1-3/8 which is not too common any more. So instead of driving 25 miles to the bike shop and then have him order one in, just place the order with Amazon. If you're a prime member, the order's at the house in a couple of days and no shipping charges. I ordered some cinch straps this morning to tie things down on top of the panniers on the Royal Enfield from StrapWorks.com. Four straps for $12.00, shipping included. Your choice of width, color, length and buckle. Again, if I could find them it was going to be a 25 mile drive with the best option being Dick's Sporting Goods and I don't care for their business practices - apparently I'm not alone - I see where they are going to be closing quite a few stores.

So living out in the country keeps getting easier all the time. There is a decent hardware store a lumber yard and a grocery store all within about 10 minutes from me. Everything else I can get when I take the Missus to the doctor, go to the college or order online. Not a bad life.




No comments: