Thursday, January 17, 2019

Rolling, Rolling, Rolling


More snow this morning - just a little accumulation but more on the way this weekend along with some cold over-night temps. Might see negative numbers. I'm ready for it, regardless of what shows up. I got a kick out of the guy on the local radio station last weekend when it was snowing. Rather than being a crier of doom, he was saying it's just a typical winter day for us and so be careful when driving.

I spent most of yesterday on the road. Cuzzin Ricky had one of his trucks worked on over at the neighbor's house, so I drove one back to his house and then he brought me back home. As soon as I got back it was off to the bank, library, post office, Tractor Supply, Target, Menards and then the college. I got the keyway broached for the high mileage project, dropped off a couple of things for one of the instructors, ran into one of the guys I rode the Cowboy Trail with last summer and then hit the Weld Shop and made the little part you see in the photo below.


That's a replacement for a piece on my clothesline prop that broke last year. It came with the house and I've never seen another one like it. The metal clip fits in the end of a piece of galvanized tubing that's about 7' long. The original clip looked like it was a manufactured item rather than a one-off like mine. Regardless, I should be good for a lifetime once I cut the clip to length and braze it in. I do find it interesting with all the climate change hysteria you're always hearing about, you never hear about anyone campaigning for the right to hang your laundry outside. When I moved in here there was a clothesline but it was in the front yard. A bit tacky even by my standards. There are places that won't allow you to hang the laundry outside at all, either by ordinance, codicil or home owners association rule. Silliness.

The stop at Tractor Supply was to check on some parts for the slip roller. I need some sprocket hubs and sprockets - roughly $100.00. The plans call for the rolls being made from 1-1/2" pipe. $32.00 from Menards for a 10' section. In addition to the steel parts I'll need some bronze bushings and some bolts but no great expense there. I've already got the material for the end pieces and the base so I'm looking at about $150.00 - $175.00. I found a place that had the sprocket hubs substantially cheaper. I'm going to look a little deeper into ordering from them. If the shipping charges wouldn't be excessive, that would bring the finished cost down to about $100.00. A roller would be real handy for the type of work I do.

No comments: