Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Ducktail for the Kwacker




















I think what I need when taking the photos is an assistant. Have the lovely Carol Merrill show us the ducktail behind door number three. Give the operation a little class. Anyway, the parts are coming together. I'm starting at the back because that's where I have to actually make things. The front end is pretty much buy and install, with the exception of a tach mount. Not sure what I want there yet. I'm ordering some brake parts and turn signals to finish up the back end and I can tackle the battery box in the mean time. I think I'm going with a Brembo caliper in the rear. I'll need to make a hanger but that's pretty much cake. I like projects like this when you see some measurable progress just by working an hour or two in the evening. This baby will be a streeter come spring.

I went to the midget races at Grundy County Fairgrounds last Saturday and unfortunately I left my little digital camera at home. They had a couple of restored vintage midgets on display and were they ever pretty. One was a 1948 Kurtis Kraft that had the same type of paint job I'm looking to put on the grandson's car. It was a classic two tone with the paint on the nose coming to a point on the hood with the number in gold leaf right above the chrome grill. It had the little Offy with a chrome exhaust running down the side. I shot a couple of photos with Cuzzin Ricky's film camera, so I'll have something for inspiration when I start cranking back up on that project.

It also had a bunch of louvers on the hood. I need to figure out how to get a louver press built in time for the February finish on this project. I want to put a few along the bottom and I'm thinking a couple on the sidecovers of the 900 as well. Maybe just roll a couple of beads in them. They're actually just flat covers like the ones in the last post. The Racecrafters bike just had them zip tied on. I'm thinking some Dzus fasteners, at least. If I leave them flat, maybe I'll have Surly pinstripe them. The more I think about the 900, the more I'm inclined to tart it up a bit. I've worked on bits and pieces for lots of bikes and lots of people but I don't really have anything of my own that's nice. The Honda's close but it's not there yet.

2 comments:

Surly said...

I have the design for the louver press. You tell me when your ready and I'll get some drawings made.

Shop Teacher Bob said...

I'm ready anytime. Since I'm doing most of the 900 at home, I'll have some time at work to make midget parts. Have to make the February deadline.