Friday, July 24, 2009

Cross



























I finished my part of the cross the other night. It's made from 1/4" x 2" x 2" angle with 14 gauge stainless plates that will be riveted on after painting and engraving. Those are the "Pop" rivets in the detail photo I stuck in the holes to hold the stainless plates on for the photo. The finishing touches and installation are going to be handled by someone else. I'm pleased with how it came out, just sorry that it needed to be made. It's for a 21 year old former student of mine that got hit by a car. I'm working real hard to get my stuff done but I couldn't say no to this job.

The design idea came from a back issue of The Anvils Ring magazine. The quarterly magazine is one of the primary benefits of being a member of ABANA. I'm not a member any longer but should probably join once again. The dues are a little salty but if you're interested in either blacksmithing or art smithing, it's the place to start. They have a conference every two years that has some of the finest smiths in the world as demonstrators. Next year it will be held in Memphis the first week of June. I just might have to check that out myself. It's been a while since I've gone to one.

No comments: