Thursday, July 30, 2009

Shooting Rest
















While I've been making really good progress on finishing up projects - finally got the ceiling tile up in the parlor - I couldn't resist starting another one. I built a bullet trap for my 22 rifle a year or so ago so I wouldn't have to make a trip to the range when I wanted do a little plinking but I didn't have a rest to shoot off of. To sight your gun in, a rest is the only way to go. I made a trip to the Bass Pro store a few weeks back and looked at what they had. They had a pretty good selection both in styles and price range. Me being the consummate tinkerer, however, I figured I could make one and save myself a few bucks. Of course, I rarely put a value on my labor for a job like this because I just like making things.

The photo shows the parts I've got made so far. Quite a bit of machine work but I find this type of work much more enjoyable than a lot of the home handyman crap I've been doing. The remaining work is pretty straight forward - make the legs and the top plate, then weld things together. I'm going to fixture it up on a piece of OSB to keep everything lined up while welding. I should have it done in a few days, depending on the weather. This is a good rainy day or evening project. This would actually be a good project for a kid in a high school machine shop class if every one wasn't so damn touchy about guns.

4 comments:

leroy99 said...

Looks like you have a pretty good start on it. Stopped by Superior yesterday and picked you up a couple of used quick releases for the bike racks least I could do for the ride and ya taking it easy on me in the big bike race probably wont be at gym tonight but possibly sat see ya later.

Shop Teacher Bob said...

Thanks. Maybe we can find us another race.

leroy99 said...

they have a big auction in lowell tomorrow if you are interested let me know? forge anvils wood stuff antiques planning on leavin here round 645 or so talk to you latter. not sure how to contact directly dont feel like putting phone # or email on here so let me know

Shop Teacher Bob said...

Family reunion tomorrow - so no can do. If I bought something it would probably need to be fixed anyway and I don't need that.