Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Shooting Rest - Part 2







































I finished the shooting rest Sunday night. I welded up the legs and the top plate, ground and filed things up a little and then painted it with wrinkle finish black paint. The bottom photo shows my "fixture" for welding. Just a piece of OSB with a circle drawn on it with holes at 120 degrees. I machined up a pipe spacer to get the body up to the right height and to hold everything in place, then tightened it all up with a piece of 1/2" all-thread. I bolted the feet plates down with 3/8" bolts and that was pretty much all there was to welding it together. I welded the nuts on to the plates to be used for adjusting purposes later on. The top photos show the aluminum jam nuts sitting on top of the 3/8" nuts. I welded them on the top side because I wanted the bottom to be flat. If I get real ambitious, I might make something in the future that bolts to the rest that will hold the rear of the gun as well. I'm going to buy the adjusting knobs for the feet rather than make them. I've got to order a couple of other things and since I had everything else, I'll still have less than five bucks invested in the thing.

5 comments:

leroy99 said...

do you guys have wagon "float" for parade sat let me know have a few prety nice ones if you need talk to ya later. if ya want to call the receipe for beans I gave you has my # on it

Shop Teacher Bob said...

Jimmy's not sure what he's doing yet. I'll call him Wed and let him know what you've got. Thanks.

Grumpyunk said...

That looks good, Bro!

Shop Teacher Bob said...

It's too bad we can't get together more often. It'd be nice if you, Jim, Surly and I could meet up for a little target practice. Dave used to do a bit of shooting as well. Maybe that should be the focus of the next reunion. Sarcasmfest went pretty well, though.

Grumpyunk said...

We could get together the day before or something like that.

No 1000 yard shooting ok?