Saturday, August 8, 2009

Busy Morning

















































Today was the 5K walk and local craft fair/parade so I got up early and met Jimmy at the gym to pick up our float the gym entered in the parade and got that staged. Then it was time for the race.

We had several people from the gym run and I race walked. I got second overall - about three minutes behind first. Actually I was quite pleased with my time. I was about 30 seconds quicker than I was two years ago when I walked this event. I do need to start closer to the front. Race etiquette dictates that the slower runners and walkers should start in the back, which I did. I never did see the first place guy at all and it took me a mile before I could catch up to the second and third place walkers. Even though the race is chip timed, your time starts when the gun goes off rather than when you cross the starting line. My second mile was a minute and twenty seconds faster than my first. I normally start out a little slow but I know I gave away at least thirty to forty seconds to those other walkers. I slowed a little after pulling away from the other two guys but I felt good and could have pushed it a little if I needed. After the race I stuck around for the awards and Jimmy took off to get the trailer all set up so I walked/ran another two or three miles to the parking lot where the trailer was staged.

The parade went well. Jimmy had the trailer all decorated up like a miniature boxing ring and we had a couple of guys sparring the whole route. I looked in the rearview mirror a few times and they weren't just pattycaking, they were slapping some leather. They only fought one round but it was almost an hour long! The heavy bag costumes were a hit. The poor girls inside them were sweating, though. It was a long walk to be inside a black vinyl bag. The float seemed to be a real crowd pleaser and we had a bunch of the little fighters walking along handing out candy and flyers. We'll probably be innundated with calls now and we're pretty close to capacity as it is.

It all went well. I've now got a pair of wooden shoes and I got lucky enough to win a $15.00 gift certificate for a local restaurant in the race raffle. Not a bad morning.

3 comments:

cuzzin ricky said...

congrats on the 2nd place finish and your other wooden shoe i was thinking with the gift certificate you could take an old fat guy out to breakfast and wear your wooden shoes just a thought i could show you a 8X10 glossy of a set of F-3's i just got in the mail later cuzzin ricky

Shop Teacher Bob said...

How 'bout next Sunday?

cuzzin ricky said...

i will pencil you in gonna try to make it to shop on tuesday if the powers that be will allow it god i hate my job or rather the idiots that run the show