Thursday, August 6, 2009

Quick Trip

I took the teardrop trailer out yesterday for a quick camping and hiking trip. I really haven't gone anywhere this summer - the price you pay for letting things pile up. Spent a couple hours hiking on Wednesday, including climbing the old fire tower, then cooked myself supper over the campfire, and finished my book about Teddy Roosevelt. That boy was something. Became something of an egomaniac after leaving office but a Medal of Honor and Nobel recipient. Pretty rare company there, by golly.

Got up this morning and hiked another hour, then stopped by the gun range on the way home to try out the new shooting rest. Works like a charm. A guy showed up with a fancy Sharps replica and his buddy had some kind of custom made bench rest rifle. Both of these guys shoot at 1000 yards! I was on the 100 yard range and was lucky to hit the paper. I can't imagine shooting at a distance ten times that. I guess I can imagine shooting at that range, I just can't imagine hitting anything. I didn't want to burn up the whole day or I would have stuck around to see these guys in action. They both had chronographs and the benchrest gun had a rest under it that put mine to shame. It was a big slab of steel with a bubble level built into it. The wheel for raising the elevation looked like it came off a yacht. The handles were all polished or chrome. So was the receiver and the barrel on the gun. The guy had a little holster he put the bolt into. I'm thinking I should just stick with trying to get a little better with my 22. I know it's a lot cheaper.

2 comments:

Grumpyunk said...

One of the guys I work with has shit for real long ranges. He goes out to S. Dakota and whacks Prairie Dogs at 600 yards.
He's serious shooter and really knows what he's doing.
My pistol and rifle shooting has improved with a bit of teaching from him. I still suck. Just less than before.

Shop Teacher Bob said...

I've discovered that I can't shoot near as well as I used to. A combination of aging eyes, broken collar bone and lack of practice. I would like to try my hand at building a rifle. A single shot like the Sharps or a schuetzen rifle of some type would be fun. There I go again, more projects. I'm like a junkie. I see something cool, I want to make one.