Thursday, August 27, 2009

Week Two or Weak Too

Finishing up the second week of the new school year. We've got a new boss this year and there are several changes evident already and I'm sure more are on the way. Other than some basic methods of operation, I don't foresee any big changes for me. He seems to be a go-getter/cheerleader type which has been lacking around here. However, since I'm basically a misanthrope, I might have a little trouble buying in to the rah, rah team company line. It's not just me, the rumble in the jungle seems to be mixed so far. I guess you would expect that, since no one has really been in charge the last few years.

I've got two vocational welding classes this year and two beginning classes as well. It looks like I've got a real good bunch of students this year and I'm looking forward to getting the boys started on making things. We have to finish a trailer for one of the maintenance guys and I want to do a little work on tidying things up in the shop, then it's off to the races. Work is already coming in from the school corporation. I welded a plate on the tailgate of a pickup truck today and sent a stainless drawer from one of the elementary schools with them that I TIG welded the other day. I always do quite a bit of the work myself at the beginning of the year until the boys get a little more experience. Two of the boys did weld up a couple of music stands on their own and another two cut some pieces of floor grating today. Since the new boss seems to take an interest in what actually goes on in the school, I think he'll be impressed with the amount and variety of work that goes through the shop.

The metalsmithing class looks like it's going to be a mixed blessing. You can't get a whole lot done in 30 minutes but we've got our first little project about done. I found out that some of the students didn't actually sign up for the class and others who did, didn't get in. That's typical of what's gone on in the past here. I'm planning on making a spangenhelm next. That's a helmet, for those of you who aren't into armour. If you check out the link, it's a pretty good tutorial on how to build one of those things. Should be fun and it will introduce some other skills besides the forging we've already done.

2 comments:

Grumpyunk said...

Those helmets are gonna come in handy as we enter "The era of Thunderdome". Mad Max would be pleased.

No, I have no idea why that image came to mind either. Just made me laugh.

Shop Teacher Bob said...

I think the next era is going to require a little more than a spangenhelm. Maybe if I line it with aluminum foil it will at least stop the voices.