Thursday, July 2, 2009

Shop Class as Soulcraft




















I just finished reading Shop Class as Soulcraft: An Inquiry Into the Value of Work by Matthew B. Crawford. I first heard about him from the Wisdom of the Hands blog. He has a somewhat condensed version of the book in an article published in the New York Times Magazine that can be read here. There's also a good review and bio here, (Thanks Unk).

The book is a short but good read and especially relevant to an old shop teacher who has been saying similar things for a long time now. My problem is I've been saying it mostly to people who feel the same way I do anyway. Mr. Crawford actually took the time to write a book and got it out to a much larger audience and did a much better job than I could have, at a time when a lot of people are starting to rethink our individual and collective values. A motorcycle mechanic or a weldor would not have been writing mortgages to people who had no possible way of paying them back. In his book, he explains why that is so as well as addressing some of the educational issues that contribute to the nonsense that is going on in this country today.

Shop Class as Soulcraft makes a good case for working with your hands, not just to earn a living but because it's good for the soul and a ton of other reasons. Check it out.

2 comments:

leroy99 said...

Soulcraft has a nice ring to it I'd say, and is the truth noting better than taking on a job that takes thought and being able to step away with a nice finished product and knowing you learned a little somthing along the way, would be nice if everyone had a little ambition insted of always wanting someone to do it for them. Dont forget info on ride will be there sat."by the way have to go to bike shop need padded shorts ASAP!

Grumpyunk said...

I guess I should have known that you'd have already read the book! I read that article and it sounded so much like you.

Nice machine work in the post above. Oh, and a dandy blister, too!

You're right about not breaking them. I think they hurt more if ya do.

The infantry guys taught me a blister technique of using an insulin syringe (real small needle) and draining them and then shooting some Tincture of Benzion in there and sorta gluing it down. Works pretty well if you can keep it from getting aggravated again.

See you in August.