Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Choo-Choo

























The little train is just about done. I had the wheels under it today and I sat on it. If it holds me it should do just fine for a little tyke less than two years old. The nose didn't come out quite as pretty as I would have liked but it will have to do. I still need some practice on some of that sheet metal work. It'll be ready for Friday delivery, however.

I did a little work on the Rickati tonight during open shop, as well. I TIG welded the backbone and down tube to the steering head so I could weld the sheet metal gusset in place. I'm TIG welding the whole frame together, so it should look pretty nice. I thought about either gas welding it or brazing it like the original Rickman frame was but I don't do a lot of TIG welding on steel so this way I can show the boys something they can set their sights on. I also got the holes drilled for the swingarm bosses in the two side plates. I'm going to try and make some real progress on this project while I'm on Christmas break. Once the two sideplates are tacked on I can bend the last two pieces of tubing and tack the shock mounts in place. I'll still need to make a battery box and weld some tabs on but the main frame will be pert near done. I've got a couple of jobs going at the school now for other people and I've got a couple more lined up, so I want to get my job done before things get too busy.

The train and boat should both be done tomorrow or Thursday at the latest. I'll throw up a couple of pictures of both of them before I deliver them.

No comments: