Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Photo Stuff








































Surly gave me a Konica 35mm SLR complete with several lenses awhile back. Both of us are pretty much overloaded with camera gear but my old Mamiya SLR locked up and the camera repairman said it wasn't worth fixing. I usually carry around a small Canon rangefinder or I use one of my old folding cameras but that sets some pretty tight limits on the type of photos I can shoot. No wide angle or telephoto shots with those. The Konica needs the foam light seal around the back replaced, however. I made a little fixture to hold it out of scrap wood so I wouldn't have to risk damaging the camera while I was changing the seal. Looks like it will work pretty good.

The other photo shows one of my light reflectors mounted on the tripod I made out of thinwall conduit (kind of a lousy photo for a post about photography.) All it took was one piece each of 3/4" and 1/2". I brazed the legs on and put a 1/4" nut on the top of the 3/4". The 1/2" slides inside the 3/4" so the height is adjustable. Total cost about $10.00. The reflector in the photo has a pair of "barn doors" to give you a few more options for portrait work. The reflector came from Menard's and I riveted a pair of hinges on along with a couple of scrap pieces of aluminum for the barn doors. Once again, only about $10.00. I just need to do a little more work on the table top and I should have myself a miniature photo studio. Should be just the ticket for project photos or copy work.

I got the cart painted for the folding chairs at the gym this morning plus the little cart the boys made for the new plasma cutter. I've got a few more days of vacation left so I should be able to make a little more progress on a few of the projects and still be able to watch the hockey game on New Year's Day.

Best Wishes for the New Year!

3 comments:

Grumpyunk said...

Happy New Year Bro!

Shop Teacher Bob said...

Thanks and same to ya!

Looking forward to the new year. I've got some things planned - finish a few more projects and start a couple more, of course. Maybe even have a motorcycle to actually ride this year. Been having lots of fun building stuff this past year.

Surly said...

I love that camera. Konica had the best manual bodies IMO. Especially for a left eyed guy like me.