Sunday, December 13, 2009

This Little Piggy -






























ain't so little.












We had a fight night at the gym Friday. Since I'm officially retired from the fight game, I refereed the matches. With my uncanny sense of timing, I stepped in behind one of the heavyweights and he rocked back on my foot and pinned my big toe to the canvas at an angle it wasn't designed to bend at. Hurt a little at the time and kept getting worse as the night wore on. By the time I got home I could hardly walk - not a good sign for a guy who was supposed to do a 5K racewalk the next morning. Saturday morning it was swollen up like a kielbasa and I had to throw in the towel on the racewalk. Not that big a deal except I won the thing last year and wanted to defend my title. Instead, I picked up my tee shirt, did a little parts shopping at the farm store and then hobbled on home by way of the library. I picked up a couple of videos of old TV shows from the '50's and watched Sergeant Preston of the Royal Canadian Mounted Police along with his dog Yukon King and Kit Carson most of the day while perched in the recliner with my foot up. The toe's a lot better today but I didn't do a whole lot. I did manage to get the stand for the boat put together and moved a couple of pieces of furniture - after I put on my steel toed boots! Wasn't taking a chance on bumping the toe.

There's still plenty of time to get the train and boat done as long as I don't hurt myself anymore. I start giving finals on Friday and then finish up Mon. and Tue. of next week. Should be no problem to sneak in the little bit of work that's left to do on the train.

Unk: Thanks for the nice comment the other day and happy birthday. I planned on sending you best wishes on Friday after I got home from the fights but just stayed in the recliner all night cursing my big toe.

2 comments:

Grumpyunk said...

Dude, that looks painful! Ouch.

Watching Sgt Preston is ok. You could do a lot worse.

Give that toe time to heal up and don't do anything stupid. You know that but I know you. Rest it.

I'm not big on celebrating birthdays, just glad they're still coming round!

Shop Teacher Bob said...

It's a lot better today but I'm planning on taking it easy. I've got a lot to do at school with the end of the semester and no athletic events planned for the near future. Just working on projects for the next couple of months.