Monday, December 20, 2010

Lunar Eclipse +

I added a gadget showing the phases of the moon. It also gives the correct time (I'm not sure how it does that in the State of Indiana. We've only got two different time zones but there is no geographic boundary or even any rhyme or reason as to how it was determined what time it is where).

After my brief digression and shot at My Man Mitch, the point is that you, meaning me, will be able to stay on top of the moon phases. This should make it much easier when it comes to planting your garden, sailing your yacht, or planning for the embarrassing moment when once a month you notice your canine teeth growing rapidly and male pattern baldness is no longer a problem. If the latter applies to you, I would stay in this evening, by the way.

Tonight there will be a lunar eclipse and since I don't have to work in the morning, I was planning on setting up the telescope and checking it out. Unfortunately, it's supposed to be cloudy and start snowing, which will pretty well take care of that. I bought a telescope a couple of years ago and really haven't gotten around to doing much with it. I need a little more knowledge about what I'm actually looking at. I can pick out the North Star and the Big and Little Dippers but I could do that when I was about six. When I bought the telescope I figured I'd be able to take it with me when I went camping in the little trailer and give me something to do once the sun went down besides swatting mosquitoes and drinking. The problem is most all of my camping the last two years has been by bicycle. I have used it to check out the Space Station and I've learned a few more of the planets and constellations but I want to know some more. It's a big world out there. In fact, it's an infinite world out there, which I'm still trying to get a grip on.

A Quality Shop Of Master Craftsman posted a nice little diatribe about education the other day. This comes from the viewpoint of a craftsman who has a son who is in school. The Wisdom of the Hands also posted a video of how education works in Finland. You might want to check them out. One guy asks the questions, the other guy answers the questions. The only ones not doing anything about it are the ones who have the power to change it. If I get a little more proficient with the telescope, I might be able to find out where the policy makers come from. Some of the stuff they come up with has to come from outer space.


4 comments:

tvi said...

HEY "BOB",

THANKS FOR THE KIND WORDS. I HAD A GREAT TIME SATURDAY WITH ALL THE RELATIVES, THANKS FOR BEING THERE. HOPE YOU DID TOO.

TALK TO YOU SOON,

TVI

Shop Teacher Bob said...

Sam and I both had a good time - wish we could have stayed longer but the funeral wouldn't wait. Felt bad that I didn't get a chance to talk to Bob more. Next time we get together I'd like to hear a little more about your viewpoint on education. Things do need to get sorted out.

leroy99 said...

That little gadget will come in handy for planning those spring fishing evenings also!

Shop Teacher Bob said...

I need to get out and do some more fishing. I didn't make it out once last year. That's just wrong!