Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Tailstock






















I'm finally getting around to making the tailstock to go with the spacer head for my mill. Enco sells one thats a plain Jane for $164.95 and a fancy adjustable one for $362.29. Both of them are too short for my spacer head however, so I'd have to make a block to put underneath it to raise it up an 1-1/2" anyway. Instead of parting with my "hard earned" dollars to buy one, I'm fabbing my own on company time - the American free enterprise system at it's best, though I must confess I did quite a bit of it last night during Open Shop. I'll need to cut a slit in the top for the pinch bolt at home as soon as the weather warms up a little but everything else I can do at work. I need the tailstock to finish one of my non bloggable projects I'm working on and I could have used one several times in the past for other projects. I want to get all my tooling in order for retirement so I'll be able to tinker on whatever, whenever.

I ordered some bearings and Heim joints for the Rickati project and a couple of pieces for the steam engine that should be in today so I can continue working on them as well. Everything is progressing right smartly.

2 comments:

leroy99 said...

Looks good, you need to convince the head honchos over there that you need one of those snazzy programmable water jet cutter! While you are still there and have some pull! “for the next guy ya know”

Shop Teacher Bob said...

In spite of the fact that I fix everything under the sun for the whole corporation, I don't have much in the way of pull. I've been trying to get a CNC plasma for a couple of years and still no go. I'm still working on it, though.