Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Almost a Whizbang



















Not sure what this was for but it's obviously Italian and it's got a motorcycle on it, so that's good enough for me. Audax is a word I'm familiar with from cycling but not motorcycling. Maybe if I knew what sara di regolarita or Porretta terme meant it would make more sense.













"Mr. Sluggo" bolting
things together

















Top view of the Whizbang
Apple Grinder











The apple grinder is about done. I need to get a couple of things for the electrical hookup, make the apple corral for the top and pick up a piece of tubing for the discharge outlet and it'll be a Whizbang Apple Grinder. So far all I had to buy was a few 1x4's, a 1x6, some carriage bolts and the coupler. So when it's all said and done, I'll have less than 50 bucks in the thing. If my scrounged disposal works, everything will be roses. If it doesn't, it will be easy enough to slide a new one into place in spite of the cost.

The cider press frame is all wood, so I'm going to farm that job out to the woodshop here at the school. I was going to make/purchase a big acme screw for the pressing mechanism but I think I'll just make the thing like the plans call for using a screw jack. You can find those at the junk yard for $5.00. After he gets the frame done, I can make a sheet metal pan for the bottom to catch the juice out of stainless. I'll need to make the "slatted bucket" or whatever you call it where the actual pressing occurs but that shouldn't be much of a stretch.

Starting and finishing. It's a beautiful thing.

2 comments:

leroy99 said...

Porretta Terme is a town and comune in the province of Bologna, Emilia-Romagna, Italy. It is historically a spa town, but it is now also a centre for winter sports.
sara di regolarita means will of regularity
Looks like its the annual motor cycle race in Porretta Terme
Did ya get a chace to get the plasma cutter together?

Shop Teacher Bob said...

When did you learn Italian?

I've got it at school. I just need to put a plug on it that matches my stuff. I'll do that today and try it out.