Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Plan B






Photo from here:











Retirement Plan "B".



The following was sent along by my colleague Kevin:

Superintendent Bennett:

In reference to the article below, “State Earns “A” on Advanced Placement Exams,” and in light of other factual data on the true performance of Indiana public schools, how can you and Governor Daniels, in good conscience, take the positions you hold on the performance of Indiana public schools?

In my 31 year career, I have taught or administrated in private/parochial schools in Detroit, Michigan and South Bend, in three nationally recognized high schools (SB St. Joseph’s HS, Penn High School, Valparaiso High School), and in three urban schools (Elkhart Memorial HS, East Chicago Central High School, and Highland High School). I earned abachelors’ degree in Economics from Kalamazoo College (a highly regarded liberal arts college in Michigan), a Masters Degree from the University of Notre Dame’s Graduate School of Business, and I am within weeks of defending my doctoral dissertation to earn a Ph.D. in Education Leadership from Western Michigan University. I was recognized as the IASP District 1 High School Principal of the Year in 2007. I am a graduate of the Harvard University Graduate School of Education’s Principal’s Center. I tell you this not to brag about myself (because if you met me, you’d see that I am a humble man…my students and staff would confirm that perception, I believe) but to establish my credibility as a successful lifelong educator with a diverse background of experience who has invested heavily, both personally and professionally, in my chosen vocation not for selfish, financial gain (as our governor might lead the public to believe) but for the improvement of educational opportunity for the full spectrum of students.

I believe that my diverse experience affords me a unique perspective. I can make this statement with the wisdom and knowledge gained from my years of experience has afforded me: You cannot blame schools for the ills of society; nor can you expect schools to fix society’s ills. By privatizing public education, you will only exacerbate the division between the society’s educational haves and have-nots. You will succeed in totally decimating communities that are already left behind as wreckage churning in the wake of the exit of private industry and business, who abandoned ship when it no longer was profitable to operate in those settings (witness South Bend, Elkhart, and East Chicago). If you’ve taken the time to read Diane Ravitch’s latest book, you’ve been exposed to the counter-arguments to your position. How can for-profit educational ventures be expected to act any differently? As rational human beings, conventional economic theory will tell you that these business concerns will eventually make the same decisions. At that point, the public schools, which are the sole, remaining anchor of many of these communities, will surely stand as hollow and tragic ghosts of the past, just as the vacant steel mills and factories do in so many communities across this state. At that point, children and communities will truly be left behind. Vouchers will see to this.

Face the facts: Both the governor and you have obvious conflicts of interest tied up the privatization of public education. Whether you choose to acknowledge it or not, it is a widely-known fact. The tragedy of your agenda will play out long after you are gone. How you sleep at night, I do not know.

To quote a famous biblical figure, “You know not what you do.” In my opinion, you have betrayed the public trust.

I don’t expect that my comments will change your minds or agendas. I do, however, hope we still retain the liberty of holding and voicing our personal opinions and dissent without fear of reprisal. This is the climate you have created.

Sincerely,

Patrick D. Weil

Patrick D. Weil
Principal
Highland High School

As Mr. Weil has so eloquently stated, we're doing a pretty fair job educating the masses right now. Dismantling the system is not the solution. It'll be interesting to see what they have in store for us after this. I'm thinking insurance and pension plan are the real target. I see dark clouds forming on the horizon.

There's always Plan B, I guess.

9 comments:

Traveling Pirate said...

I got an email today from the state affiliate that I forwarded to your Association Pres. It gives direction as to how to calculate your new salary. If one is at your school and has 20 years experience, one will go from a salary of $61,000 to a salary of $38,000. As I said on my prize winning first grade fire prevention poster, "Get out fast or you won't last."

Traveling Pirate said...

I should have said this would be your new salary under SB 1.

tvi said...

HEY "BOB",

UNFORTUNATELY WE HAVE BECOME A SOCIETY THAT HAS TO FIND SOMEONE TO BLAME TO FURTHER THE AGENDA OF MAKING A PROFIT THAT LINES SOMEONE'S POCKET. IT SEEMS TO HAVE STARTED AT A FAIRLY YOUNG AGE AND CONTINUES TO GROW TO THE POINT WHERE YOU CAN'T TAKE RESPONSIBILITY FOR ANYTHING, UNLESS THE MASSES AGREE AND THEN YOU CAN STAND UP IN FRONT OF A CAMERA AND TELL THE WORLD, LOOK AT ALL I'VE DONE FOR YOU. ALL THE WHILE HIDING THE SLIMY BASTARD'S YOU'VE BECOME.

THE ONE QUESTION I HAVE IS "REALLY, HOW DO YOU SLEEP AT NIGHT?". IF AND WHEN SOME OF THESE "WONDERFUL HELPERS" OF OUR SOCIETY CAN ANSWER THAT QUESTION WHILE LOOKING US IN THE EYE,MAYBE I WILL BE ABLE TO SLEEP AT NIGHT, KNOWING MY CHILD HAS A CHANCE AT A DECENT EDUCATION.

THIS GUY GETS IT, WAY BETTER THAN MOST. I HOPE THEY HEAR HIS VOICE. UNFORTUNATELY AS GRUMPY UNK SAID, "BONED IS BONED".

TALK TO YOU SOON,

TVI

Shop Teacher Bob said...

Traveling Pirate: I'm really looking forward to a 1/3 reduction in pay, especially just prior to retirement. If this goes through, I'll be able to curse their souls the rest of my life every time I get a reduced pension check. I just wish the press would do a little better job of getting all the particulars out to the public. No one is really aware of how bad this is going to be for those currently teaching and the effect it will have on education for years to come.

I appreciate your continued interest on our behalf even though you're no longer in your previous position, by the way. Also quite envious - but you knew that.

TVI: If you can kill off the unions, you can attract more businesses. These businesses being non-union will pay low wages. Low wage jobs don't require much in the way of skills or education, so why not kill off the public schools at the same time? If you kill off the public schools as we know them, the charter schools will prosper and the politicians can tell everyone they created lots of jobs and the charter schools are the answer to educations woes, just like we said. Gotta admit it's a clever plan.

Surly said...

61 to 38 eh? That'll encourage people into the profession.

Shop Teacher Bob said...

Surly: The low wages are bad enough but to realize they can apparently change the rules whenever they want, that's definitely going to attract the best and the brightest.

Traveling Pirate said...

They really want to turn all public employees into Walmart employees-low salary, few if any benefits, crappy products. Walmart has done a helluva job keeping the unions out and thus profits up. This is one the many reasons I began boycotting Walmart almost 10 years ago. A good documentary on the subject is "The High Cost of Low Price."

I've also been reading that most charter school teachers would not be required to have a license to teach. The Gov will send kids to a school full of unlicensed teachers. Would he send people to an unlicensed doctor or lawyer?

Shop Teacher Bob said...

The state currently requires a licensed teacher to constantly upgrade their skills for license renewal. The feds want all teachers to be "highly qualified" - lots of education and demonstrable teaching ability. Now, if Mitch and Tony have their way, it will be against the law to have more than 50% of the teachers in a charter school be licensed, obviously that does not fit the definition of highly qualified. It's all just madness.

The state needs to take over a few more failing schools. Then we can all sit back and watch the results. Either they will fail miserably or they will have to change the rules of the game. If the latter is true, then perhaps there will be true and meaningful reform. The template already exists.

Grumpyunk said...

"I'm thinking insurance and pension plan are the real target." - Ding! Ding! Ding! Winner!!

Everything is about this. Right now it's the teachers but it'll be every single entity that receives a paycheck and most importantly, a retirement promise from a government, before it's all over.
Every one of them at every level is gonna get nicked. Fed, State, County, City.
The bad news is there's not a hell of a lot to be done about it.
From top to bottom, everything in this country is bankrupt and it's gonna get worse. Wait for the Municipal Bond market to implode. It's gonna be a disaster.

The projected retirement from my employer was cut by 2/3's. Just got a little memo "Sorry. Times are tuff."
Your, Plan B is gonna be reality for a hell of a lot of folks.

If it makes you feel any better, y'all are gonna have a whole lot of company on the, Tom Joad circuit.