Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Torchmate is Here!


New Lincoln Tomahawk plasma cutter with machine torch

Just like it says on the crate
I had the day off yesterday and was just getting ready to run up town to the hardware store when the phone rang. It was the salesman delivering the new plasma cutter. He didn't realize we had the day off but I was more than happy to run over there and get the new machine I've been waiting for ever since I started working here close to twenty years. I've got to fax in some paper work and then the new water table will be coming as well.

A former student showed up about the time the salesman was leaving with a little job he wanted to weld so I figured I'd prime the trolley beam as long as I was there. That is until I couldn't find the regulator. I have one I just plug in for painting that I keep in a filing cabinet in the back room. Looks like maybe someone took off with it. They got away with a 1/2" drill motor sometime this year as well. I keep the cabinet locked since I found the drill motor gone but I didn't realize anything else was missing. Not sure how it came up missing but since I'm in the Woodshop last hour of the day and I've come back into the Weld Shoppe several times and the outside door has been standing wide open, it wouldn't be too tough to make off with something. Both the drill and the regulator were items I brought with me from the other school (non-inventory items, not stolen, I should add), so I've had them a long time. I've already gotten a new drill but it's not a big HD one like I had. So I went from being elated to pissed in just a matter of a couple of seconds. In all my years of teaching I've only had a couple of things come up missing, partly through diligence, and partly through the students realizing that if they steal things the shop will be without and then Shop Teacher Bob will not only be angry but they won't be able to bring their stuff in.

It's always something.

No comments: