Thursday, January 3, 2013

Mo' Transporter

Photo From Here
Just happened to run into another one of these in my never ending quest to waste time on the computer. Actually, I have about ten blogs I check daily just because, and several others I check every couple of days as the mood strikes me. Most sites I check are someway or another associated with motorcycles, old cars or nice B&W photographs and as all of you know, it's easy to spend hours jumping from one link to another. That's how I stumbled upon the photo above - Volkswagen to transporter. Call it fate, kismet, serendipity, or what you will, but maybe 2013 is destined to be the year of the transporter. God, I hope not. I've got too many projects as it is.

Photo From Here
I had some help finding this one. Traveling Pirate did a photo search of the van/transporter/truck in the last post in an attempt to identify said van/transporter/truck. Didn't find out anything about that one but she did come across this one. Every bit as cool. I like the streamlined contour of the roof line - must be about the same time period as the Chrysler Airflow - mid '30's, I'm guessing.

Chrysler Airflow From Here
If you shrunk the length of the hood and put the engine in the rear, you'd have a vehicle that bears a striking resemblance to a Volkswagen, also a vehicle designed in the thirties.

Photo From Here
And second only to the Volkswagen for the length of production without a body style change, the DIVCO milk truck. Back when I had my little sideline welding business, I wanted to get one of these to put my welder and tools in. I had a little trailer I put my tools on but it was open and I had to either lock it up or unload it right after using it. One of these baby's would have been the "cat's pajamas" (You can talk like that when you're discussing 1930's cars and trucks). Even though I no longer do the welding thing on the side, I'd still like to have the milk truck. 

Photo From Here
And as long as we're, meaning me, doing the Truck Dream Team, might as well add the B61 Mack to the list. This one's a 1961 but it still has the rounded profile of the earlier rigs from the 1930's. A single axle like this one would be just perfect. I'm not sure how much longer the farmer who rents my big barn is going to stay farming, but if he wasn't filling it up with farm equipment, I'd probably be filling it up with cars, trucks and motorcycles. Right after I moved out to the country here, a local farmer was selling an old Chevy farm truck. 1950 with a grain bed. Not big enough for a real farm operation but just the thing for a guy like me to haul a little straw or gravel around in. I made him an offer but another guy was already on the way to look at it and the farmer didn't wan't to sell it out from under the other guy. Fair enough. But it was cool though. Same as the old pickup that I fixed up way back when.

So if I live about thirty more years and the farmer retires soon and I quit farting around on the computer and get to work, I might be able to get myself a DIVCO and a B61. And I might actually get them restored. While not much chance of this happening, a guy can always dream. The truck is for sale, by the way.




4 comments:

tvi said...

HEY BOB, DO YOU REMEMBER THAT GUY THAT WORKED FOR DAD, JIM WITCRAFT? (I THINK.) HE HAD THAT OLD PANEL OR SEDAN DELIVERY THAT WAS OUT BY THE SHOP IN HAMMOND. I THINK THAT WAS A 39. I ALWAYS LIKED PANEL TRUCKS AND SEDAN DELIVERIES. IF I HAD A DREAM CAR A 59 OR 60 CHEVY SEDAN DELIVERY MIGHT BE IT. VETTE REAR END, ELECTRONIC SMALL BLOCK BOOM BOOM STEREO, YEAH I THINK SO!

TALK TO YOU SOON,

TVI

Shop Teacher Bob said...

I remember him. He left right before I started working there. Last I heard he was living east of us - had his own shop. I ran into him once, guy I worked with sold steel. Probably 30 years ago at least.

I had a 54 panel truck for a short time. Donor vehicle. Took the motor out and put it in a pickup. If I remember right, Aunt Pearl had a 50's sedan delivery. Bob and I were hotroddin' up a '57 for a while. Used to take it down County Road B. A '60 sedan delivery would be the stuff. You, however, would have to stay away from County Road B.

cuzzin ricky said...

i can't believe you didn't show a picture of an old hendrickson and old petey had a divco milk truck on the frame for storage at the shop in highland hell we had access to all the good ones you want we were just to silly to know it cuzzin ricky

Shop Teacher Bob said...

When you're young you don't think about that stuff or if you do, you don't have the resources to make it happen. After you've been working for forty years you finally have the resources but the stuff you could of had for a song is now outrageously expensive or gone to the crusher.

I keep eating my vegetables, I might be able to get me that B61 someday. Thermodyne diesel with a 5 and a 4 gear box. I'll be a double-clutchin', split shiftin' cowboy then. They can use it for my hearse when they haul me off. Just remember truck driver rule #2.