Thursday, June 20, 2013

Coming Unhinged

If you looked closely at the nose of the Beetle in the last post, you would have seen a tarp strap holding the hood on. I've got a pair of hood hinges that came with the car but they're a different color than any of the other colors the car was at some time in the past and they don't seem to go with the car. Not being an authority on Volkswagens, I don't know what the difference is between the hinges on a Regular Beetle and a Super Beetle. Likewise, even if the ones I have are for my car, I can't figure out what they bolt to on the car body. I'd like to get rid of the tarp strap and get the hood operational. The hood had a remote cable release that needs to be scoped out as well. Lots of time involved sorting all of this stuff out - rummaging through boxes of parts, fixing/cleaning the parts, and if everything is there, installing them. If everything is not there, figuring out what I need to order and where to source them from. I keep pecking away and eventually all the parts will be out of the boxes and on the car. Then I can take it all apart, paint it, and try to get it all back together again..

Not sure what these fit but they don't look like the ones in the manual
Surly came by for Father's Day and while we were eyeballing the car and the ripsaw, he mentioned the Samba. I was aware of it and had checked it out a couple of years ago but at that time it just looked like another place for me to spend a bunch of time in front of the computer screen looking at Volkswagens rather than working on one. However, now that I am actually working on mine, the forum could be of help answering questions about things like hood hinges and such. It's still possible to waste a bunch of time, especially if you want to look at 46,000 pages of photos, but I joined up just the same. Might come in handy and it'll give me something to do when it's siesta time.

It looks like I'll be teaching three days per week this fall semester. That will give me lots of time for my projects and some traveling. Actually, I couldn't ask for a better set-up. Seven days in a week, and I'm working a little less than half of them. I'm thoroughly enjoying what I'm doing and there's a real possibility that the VW and the 900 will actually move under their own steam in the foreseeable future. Hard to imagine but it could happen.

No comments: