Saturday, June 8, 2013

Disston D8 Ripsaw


I did a little checking on my four dollar saw that I bought in Kansas and it appears to be a Disston D8 Ripsaw. If you check out the link it'll take you to a site that has all the D8 saw models in chronological order. With just my cursory examination, it appears as if the saw is roughly 100 years old. Also, I didn't realize that ripsaw teeth are sharpened straight across the face so that the teeth cut like a chisel rather than at an angle like a cross cut saw. I was probably told that in 7th grade, which was the last time I had any formal instruction on hand saws, but that's been fifty years ago. And, having never owned one, the subject never came up. However, having taught wood shop for about 3/4th of a year, seems like I should have known that.

Here's one last picture from the Kansas trip:


This is at St. Meinrad in southern Indiana. If you're looking for a casket, the monks make them there. They have a little showroom off the gift shop. Nice craftsmanship. Prices pretty reasonable, as well. The top of the line model was $2395. All you need to do is have them swipe your Visa card and die. All set. 

I'd like to be able to go back down there one of these days and take some photos with the 4x5 camera. It's a beautiful campus. They'll rent you a room if you want to stay.

All told, about 1700 miles for the Kansas trip. We saw motorcycles, an archabbey, relatives, roadkill  and tires hanging from fence posts. Had a great time visiting with my brother and his wife and my sister-in-law who was taking care of our puppy for us. Always good to get away. Always better to get back home. 

No comments: