Thursday, October 10, 2013

Co-Inky Dinky


So I was looking at the Bookpuddle blog and he reviewed a book called Time Was Soft There: A Paris Sojourn at Shakespeare & Company. It looks like it would be a good read and since I plan to be in Paris before the year is out, first thing I do is look for the book in the electronic card catalog of the local library and the second thing I do is a search for Shakespeare & Co. Seems that the original bookstore was located at 8 Rue Dupuytren. It also seems that's the name of the thing that's growing in my hand, Dupuytren that is, not Shakespeare. Seems also that the orthopedic doctor my wife saw the other day does the required surgery I'm going to need one of these days - they even had a brochure available explaining the ins and outs of Dupuytren's Contracture. Not looking forward to surgery but as slow as it's progressing maybe I can wait it out.

Apparently Baron Guillaume Dupuytren was a pretty famous French surgeon - besides his namesake hand growth and surgery, he performed brain surgery using the trepanning method (machinists also use this method for making holes) and worked on Napoleon's hemorrhoids. There is even the Musee Dupuytren in Paris. Seems like quite the coincidence of coming across the book, the brochure in the doctor's office and the Paris connection roughly 180 years after Dupuytren's career came to a close. Not so sure I need to find the museum named after Dupuytren but I'd like to check out the bookstore while I'm in Paris.

Really looking forward to going back to Europe.

No comments: