Tuesday, October 8, 2013

Not Cyclone Fence - A Fence and a Cyclone

Photo From Here
I put the finishing touches on the doggie kennel/fenced area yesterday. That'll make life much easier for the Missus while I'm at work. It's nothing fancy - in fact it's kind of hillbilly - but it's a minor triumph as far as expediency goes, so there you go.

In between doing the household chores and building dog pens, I managed to finish another book. The Great Cholesterol Myth by Jonny Bowden and Stephen Sinatra. As you would surmise from the title, according to the authors, heart disease is not all about cholesterol. Much of what they say goes along with the logic of the Paleo diet but if cholesterol isn't the problem, what is, you may ask. In a nutshell, sugar, stress and trans fats. Those three cause inflammation and inflammation causes heart disease. In my case, it kind of makes sense. I already was on a fairly low sodium and saturated fat diet but the stress level kept creeping up and the jelly beans, candy corn and cheap sandwich cookies were consumed by the handfuls. And chips, of course. For years. 

The book talks about the whys and wherefores of the research that led to cholesterol being branded public enemy number one. It also spells out what you should toss out of your diet and what you should replace it with. The authors say eat fish and grass fed beef but most everything else is eat more beans, veggies, nuts, berries, and fruit. Lots of good info in this one. I read a couple more books and I'll be the foremost authority on heart health. At least I'll be better informed than a lot of doctors. It would be nice if we all could get sound nutritional advice from our family physicians before we have a thrombus/embolus. See? I'm already starting to talk like an authority.


On a totally unrelated topic, I checked out the Dorkpunch blog and he has a new sandblaster cabinet for his classroom. He mentioned making a dust collection doohickey like the one in the photo from a traffic cone but couldn't remember where he saw it - thought maybe it might have been me. Nope. I started making something for my cabinet but I think I might just buy another Dust Deputy. This thing works really well with sawdust, probably would for sandblasting dust too. It's a little pricey - $39.00 + 12.50 shipping and you supply the bucket and the hose adapters. For a middle school shop teacher, the traffic cone might be more economical and fun. For the record, the cyclone is 11" high, about 5-3/4" at the top and 3" at the bottom.

Have a good week everyone. Other than worrying about the dishpan hands, everything's under control here. At least for a while. 

No comments: