Thursday, November 28, 2013

Gobble til You Wobble


Did myself another Turkey Trot this morning. My running buddy and I changed venues this year. This year we went south rather than north in support of a local man battling cancer. There was a real nice turnout for a first time run in a small community. I think I was the first male walker and second walker overall. Apparently there was a little confusion with the scoring. 

They started the walkers off in a separate wave about thirty seconds after the runners. Two women took off like they had pork chops tied to their asses and were being chased by wolves. They opened up a big lead on everyone and I worked my way through the pack and opened up a lead on everyone else. I passed the one gal about 1/4 of a mile from the end, so I'm pretty sure I came in second and the first male finisher. At this point in my life, I'm just thankful I'm alive and kickin'. That's much more important than whatever the prize was or whether I get it or not. I do find it somewhat ironic that most of my training consisted of a cardiac stress test.

Like most people I'm acquainted with, I've got lots to be thankful for, not just today but every day. I'm healthy, wealthy and wise. Healthy enough to walk a 5K, wealthy enough to live a comfortable existence and wise enough to appreciate all that I've got. I've already listened to Alice's Restaurant, so it's food, friends, family, and football from this point forward.

Happy Thanksgiving!



No comments: