Wednesday, October 18, 2017

Vollenda 620


Getting ready to shoot another roll of 120 film. This time in an old Kodak folder that was designed for 620 film. The actual film size of 620 is the same as 120 but the reels are a little narrower and the ends are a little smaller in diameter. In the photo you can see the roll of 120 on the mandrel just prior to me machining it down to size. Actually, this is one of the first things I wrote about when I started the blog back in '08.

The camera is a Vollenda model made around 1930 - so it's roughly 85 - 90 years old. Not the latest or greatest in cameras but it's still functioning well, at least it appears to be. I'll find out after I shoot the roll of film through it. Not the kind of camera you would shoot sporting events with but good for snapshots at family outings, portraits or landscapes. There's no connection for a flash but there is a bulb and time setting on the shutter. There are two spots to mount the camera on a tripod but they take a 3/8 thread rather than the more common 1/4 - 20. I've seen adaptors but I don't have one. I doubt seriously this is going to be my go-to camera so I won't worry about buying or machining an adaptor. 

What I'm trying to do currently is just get back in the swing of all things black & white. I've got a 4x5 box camera that was designed for glass plate negatives and I've got a couple of other 4x5 cameras. I want to shoot a few sheets of film with those for a couple of reasons. When you use the big cameras, they force you to slow down and think about what you're doing. Other than the box camera, both of the 4x5s have some adjustments that I'm only vaguely familiar with. Be good to understand the effects of the tilts, swings, etc. Also, you can go out and shoot just a couple of sheets of film and then come home and develop them with out having to go through a whole roll of 8-12 exposures on the 120 film or 24-36 on 35mm. If I'm going somewhere that I would shoot 36 exposures, I'd probably go digital and a film camera on a vacation trip or something.

I hope to start printing a few things soon. I might wait until I burn through the roll in this camera. The lens will focus down to about 18" according to the markings on the lens, so I might try and see if I can get something decent at close range. I want to make a developing tank for the 4x5 film also. I've got one that will allow daylight developing for up to eight sheets at a time but it uses a lot of chemistry. Something that holds just one or two sheets would be ideal. 

No comments: