Monday, October 29, 2018

Studying For the Test

I did another 5K Saturday morning. This was supposed to be a non-competitive walk so I just strolled the course at a brisk walking pace and shot the breeze with my running buddy. She was scheduled to run 8 miles to prepare for her half marathon next weekend but she wanted to do the running all at once rather than break it up in sections, so she walked with me and did her 8 miles later in the day. The girl's a trooper. My main reason for doing the 5K was to try and stay in shape, of course, but also to stay limbered up for my stress test on Tuesday. Not looking for a PR on this one but I figure I should be able to last at least 12 minutes. Find out soon enough.

After the 5K my running buddy needed to do some shopping at Costco and I had agreed to tag along mostly because I'd never been there before. If you're unfamiliar with Costco it's a big warehouse thing like Sam's Club. I wasn't overly impressed with the place. Since there's only the wife and I to shop for there's not much sense in us buying in bulk. The free samples are nice, though. However, the high point of the day was when we were getting ready to check out I hear a guy talking and laughing and I recognize the voice. I look over that way and sure enough it's a former student of mine from at least 25 years ago.

I walked over and introduced myself and it took him a second but then it was bingo! Seems he works there so we didn't have a chance to talk much but we were both real glad to see one another. I would say he typified the vocational student that every teacher loves having in class. Maybe not the greatest scholar academically speaking, but just one helluva nice young man to have in class. Always productive, never causing trouble but might be on the fringe of it occasionally. Great sense of humor and always appreciative of what you were trying to do for him. The kind of student that makes all the BS that goes along with the job worth putting up with. Made my day. 

No comments: