Sunday, October 14, 2018

Torsion Bar Suspension

Surly sent me a link to a custom coachbuilder and while checking it out I came across the photo above. Set up like you see in the photo it's about $15K. The thing I found most interesting is it's pretty much like what I've been thinking about building some day. It's got torsion bar suspension front and rear, which is what most of the champ cars I like so much use to run - actually still do in the Silver Crowns and sprints.


Here's a shot of A. J. Watson standing behind one of his roadsters with independent front suspension but still using a torsion bar. The stock Chryslers used a similar set-up with the torsion bar running parallel to the frame but it was attached to the lower arm. Lots of ways to skin this cat. 

I'm hoping to formulate a plan and have most of the details worked out so when I start construction I'll be able to jump in with both feet and work on it without too many interruptions. It might take me five years to get to that point, but that's OK. The above photo is from the A. J. Watson Tribute page on Facebook - worth checking out if you're on FB.

4 comments:

Rich in Ky said...

I have always fancied a build similar to the one in this video, with a Ford inline six (my favorite). - https://youtu.be/FWVGm-IU7bk

...Rich

Surly said...

I find it funny how mechanics used to wear white clothes.

Shop Teacher Bob said...

Rich: That's a nice looking rod. I've had a couple of vehicles with the 300 six. A little down on power in a truck or a van but should move out a light weight rig like in the video. I don't know what if anything is available off the shelf for hot rod parts but obviously the guy in the video came up with intake and exhaust stuff. I'm assuming you finished up your truck project - time for another one.

Surly: White outfits and carbon tet to clean them. No wonder those old dudes all got cancer.

Rich in Ky said...

Yes Blackie is done (or as done as it needs to be for a farm truck), and doing work around the farm, with trips into town as needed. On long trips I noticed the differential pinion bearing getting hot, so will have to address that, probably find a donor diff so I can keep using the truck while I investigate the problem.
She has great cabin heat, and is just the ticket for what I use it for. Of course with the torquey six and 5-speed manual, it runs out of ass pretty quick until you get into 3rd. But it suites my shifting style just fine.

Picked up another 300 efi and 5-speed from a burned out truck a while back, for daydreaming about projects. :-)

...Rich