Monday, February 18, 2019

Daytona, Singleton & Italy


I had the NASCAR race on the television for a bit yesterday while I was doing some chores. I commented to the dog that the Missus and I were there in 1981 when Dale Singleton won the bike race. The dog didn't seem to be too interested but Singleton was an excellent racer, having beaten the factory teams at Daytona as a privateer in '79 also. You don't often hear his name mentioned but he raced against some of the absolute best. He switched to stock car racing but he died in a plane crash, unfortunately, at the young age of 30.

On a happier note, I got an e-mail from one of my traveling companions from my Italy trips. Apparently, she saw something about real estate prices in Italy which prompted her to look into the matter in a little more detail.


This is one of the houses listed - $85,000 Euros. The link has a few more photos of the property, plus other listings at various price ranges. It's too late for me but if I was able to do a few things over in my life, I might have planned on a retirement over there, especially when you see the views.

I ordered in the bushings for the roll project and they should be here in a couple of days. I've got a couple of other bits to make for it in the mean time. Depending on the weather, I'll work on those and finish getting ready for the Ireland trip.


5 comments:

Kevin Kaluf said...

She tried getting me to buy that property too.... :-)

Shop Teacher Bob said...

It'd be nice if we could all throw in to rent a place for a couple of months - never happen, but we're all lucky to have been able go there twice. If I get a chance to return to Europe after the Ireland trip, I'm going to Spain. Cosmos offers a trip: Barcelona - Valencia - Madrid. Not all that expensive. Love to see the bikes race at the Isle of Man also. Be great if Surly and I could go together. Have to see how it all plays out.

Traveling Pirate said...

If you stay healthy long enough for me to get this house paid off, don't count me out for renting a place for a couple of months. It's a lot easier to grow old in Italy with la passeggiata. We didn't see that much where we were but I saw it in Assisi and Siena when I went before. Spain is a must see. Let me know when you decide to go and I'll see if I've gotten any money saved up yet.

Surly said...

I'd like to see Spain.

Shop Teacher Bob said...

Looks like it's unanimous!