Thursday, February 7, 2019

Speedway Racers



Here's a couple more shots of the old "Speedway" racer from the night at the Grant King shop.

I'm definitely going to have to build something like this - slant six powered, of course. Speaking of which, I've got parts on the way: rings, bearings and gaskets. I was eyeballing the print I posted a while back and the only tricky part of the frame construction will be the frame rails where they taper and bend over the rear axle and the rounded section on the nose. I need to give that a thought as far as the best way to fab those. I'm thinking the straight sections on the sides make out of 2x4 tubing and then fab the other sections from plate that's welded together.

As long as it's still cold, I'm going to study the Speedway Motors' catalog a bit and start pricing out parts to get an idea what this project will cost. Since I'm not going to be working after the eight week stint coming up, I'm going to have to be a bit more careful with my money. And I damn sure don't want to have to go back to work to finance this thing.

A couple of more things:

Interesting article on a similar type car only Studebaker powered. It has a set of similar drawings that must of come out of the same book - I'd like to find a copy of that one.

Cuzzin Ricky turned me on to a YouTube video about John Martin, the racer/mechanic/fabricator I met at Grant King's shop. It's only about 4 minutes long. Well worth your time. He's definitely my kind of guy - glad I had the opportunity to meet him.

No comments: