Friday, February 8, 2019

Roller Progress


I got the end plates for the slip roller mostly cleaned up. The starter holes to facilitate burning out the slots look a little unsightly. They won't hurt anything structurally but I think I'll run a bead of weld in the corners to make things look a bit nicer. I can round the corners up with the die grinder when finished and then a little more grinding around the edges. After I drill and tap them for the adjusting screws I'll be ready to weld them to the base plates.

The angles in the photo are the feet that will hold the roll to the bench. They each get a drilled hole and then get welded to the channel iron base. The other pieces in the photo need to have the tops rounded off and then they get a brass bushing pressed in.

The weather yesterday was 50 in the early afternoon and then the wind picked up bringing cold weather back in again. Single digits and heavy wind gusts last night with a high of only 15 forecast today. Forecasting temps around zero for tonight and then daytime temps in the high twenties/low thirties for the next seven days or so. Going to be tough getting back out into the shop that way but I'll probably bite the bullet and get out there at least long enough to finish up the end plates and the get the feet welded on to the base. I need to place an order for steel before I can finish this thing but the end plates were the big part of the job. So major step forward here.

No comments: