Friday, April 12, 2019

Milestones



The visit to California was the 48th state I've been to. When thinking about going there, the only things I really wanted to see were the Golden Gate bridge and the giant redwoods. Not only did I get a chance to see the bridge but we drove across it. Must be a million rivets holding that thing together. The bridge opened in 1937, welded construction of bridges didn't really come into use until after WWII. The thing really is a marvel. Beautiful design and they were thinking ahead making it six lanes wide. Very impressive.

We visited Redwood Park located north-east of Oakland on our way to the airport on the return trip. I didn't see any giant redwoods but I did see some big-ass redwoods. I'm going to call it good enough for now. Depending on what I work out when I get to Nevada, I might be able to see some of the big trees on the eastern side of California. However, right now I'm shooting for Bonneville which is just outside the eastern border in Utah. Cuzzin Ricky and I have been tossing some ideas around for a train ride out there as well. Have to see what shakes out as the year progresses.

The American Welding Society is celebrating its Centennial this year. I've been involved with welding for at least half that time - I've been a member for a bit more than a quarter of it. There have been a lot of advancements in the field over the 100 year span. The trade has been good to me and hundreds of my students over the years. April is National Welding Month, by the way.

Last, but certainly not least, at least to me, today's the anniversary of "the grabber" seven years ago. With the diet and lifestyle changes, I'm doing exceptionally well. The Missus saw a photo of me taken in the Redwood Park and commented about my belly being a little more prominent these days. Going to have to work on that a bit but glad to be alive and healthy enough to travel and enjoy life.

2 comments:

Surly said...

Approximately 600,000 rivets in each tower.

Shop Teacher Bob said...

Gotta be at least a couple million total then. Amazing design from both an aesthetic and engineering standpoint. Glad I got a chance to see it.