Saturday, April 6, 2019

Names Worth Remembering

Photo From Here - NSFW

Teddy Roosevelt and Winston Churchill were two men on the world stage who definitely left a name worth remembering. Closer to home I'd throw in Glenn Curtiss and Elbert Hubbard. In the sports arena I'd toss in Ted Williams. PBS featured him on its American Masters series a while back. While not always the nicest human being, he was without a doubt the greatest hitter that ever played the game of baseball. His stats would have been even more impressive but he lost a few years while serving in the military during two wars.

I don't follow any sport very closely anymore but I was a typical fan when I was young. Baseball was the national past time and living in range of WGN, I followed the Cubs and the Sox. As I age, I've come to realize how much baseball influenced my life. I don't think that's necessarily a bad thing, even though some of the great players from my time when I was a young man weren't exactly great role models. However, most of the shady side of their personal lives was kept out of the papers so you didn't hear about it. Different times, that's for sure. Names worth remembering? Mantle, Maris, Berra, Ford, Fox, Aparicio, Wilhelm, Santo, Banks, Williams and the list goes on and on. Sadly, most of them are long gone now.

Baseball has started up again and I'll be home in time to watch the playoffs for the Stanley Cup - if I can get it on my TV. The Missus downgrade our package on the dish - with my blessing. Not much on there worth watching. Plus, I'm hoping to get back on a regular workout routine now that the weather has warmed up a bit. My brother Johnny used to call the recliner the sloth-boy. How right he was.

No comments: