Friday, June 21, 2019

New Throne


Installed a new toilet yesterday in the little half-bath off the laundry room. First off, I dislike greatly doing plumbing. I worked occasionally for a plumber when I was in high school and I decided right then and there no way I wanted to be a plumber. Of course when working for him I always got the dirty jobs so it was a good education even if I didn't like the work.

When I woke up yesterday it was still raining so I decided I would wait a bit before starting since I figured I'd have to make at least a couple of trips out to the shop to get tools. I got started about 10:00 and figured I'd be done around noon. Everything was going pretty smooth - I got the old toilet out without making a mess and was ready to start installing the new one when I discovered the new bowl was broken. That didn't make me at all happy and then I managed to tip the old toilet over and spill about a gallon of water on the floor. After cleaning up the spill I loaded up the broken toilet to take it back from whence it came - about a 50 mile round trip. Once I made it back home things went pretty smoothly. Installation was pretty straight forward - bolt everything down and then run up town to get a new supply line, install it, turn on the water and push the button. No leaks, works like a charm.

This is a dual flush model. One button uses a little over a gallon to flush, the other button uses 1.6 gal. to flush. They had these in a few of the rooms I stayed in when in Europe, Seemed to work well, plus, the tank on the new one is narrower than the one it's replacing and seems to be more to the proper scale for that little bathroom. Anyway, one more item checked off the to-do list.

No comments: