Friday, October 18, 2019

Bits & Pieces



Prototype parts for work. There are two different pieces - I zip-tied the little piece to the larger one to keep from losing it. The big piece was made utilizing TIG welding. However, there was some concern about relying on an employee with TIG welding skills to make this thing in the future. After making the prototype I made a pattern that could fabricate the same part out of a flat sheet, no welding required.


Pieces for the Himalayan saddlebags. The bags are held on with pieces of flat bar with a stud threaded in them. They pivot out of the way when taking the bags off but one of them was a snug fit with the tubing frame making it a pain in the ass to take on and off. I ground a taper on the offending item but that took the plating off, meaning it will rust since they are steel. I decided to make some aluminum replacements at the beginning of the year but never got around to finishing up the job until a couple of days ago. I milled a taper on all the pieces and took a skin cut off the thickness to match up with whatever metric size the original pieces were. All that's left is to swap out the studs and I'll be set.

I was going to start on making some parts for the motorcycle carrier but couldn't find my sketch. I had a sketch for a couple of brackets to hang a cabinet in the woodshop and couldn't find that either. I started over on the cabinet job since it's a simple one. I found some material, so that'll get done in the next day or so. If I can't find the sketch for the bike carrier, I'll make a new one and get started on that project in the next few days also. I'm kind of excited about making this. It'll be a bit of a challenge but more importantly, I should be able to load the bike up and transport it safely by myself.

No comments: