Wednesday, October 23, 2019

Ramping Up



The mailman came early yesterday. He usually hits our house around 2:30 but I got a knock on the door about 9:30 and he dropped off the ramp I ordered for the bike carrier and new flannel sheets the Missus ordered. He had asked about getting some of the scrap corrugated roof sheeting I had out back once before and he asked if I was still willing to get rid of a few pieces. He came by after work and we loaded up a few sheets after cutting them in half so they would fit in his truck.

After he dropped the ramp off I had an exact measurement to make the frame it will bolt to. I got the pieces all cut to length and the corners mitered. I need to drill the hole for the hitch pin and then I can start welding the frame together. I'm going to drill some holes in the end pieces and weld a couple of 3/8" nuts on the inside so I can bolt on pieces to fasten the hold-down straps to. With the nuts welded on I'll be able to fasten the parts on easily without having to have a wrench on the inside of the frame - easy two handed job instead of wanting a third hand as so often happens when trying to bolt a part on. Those parts will also serve as a place to fasten a taillight to and a side marker light. I'll probably buy a light kit from Harbor Freight, so I need to do that to see what it will take to mount the lights and make the wiring where I can easily unbolt the side pieces without messing with the wiring at all - just pull the plug from truck bumper and call it done.

There will also be a couple of pieces that will come off the backside of the ramp frame and fasten to the truck frame. Those might be a bit of overkill but I don't want to take a chance on having the carrier collapse with the bike loaded up after hitting a big bump on the interstate. As Uncle Pete used to say: "It ain't much for looks but it's hell for strong."

Also got a bit of work done on the winch mount, a bit of general tidying up in the shop and got the new flannel sheets washed and installed on the bed. 'Fraid it's that time of the year but I should be set for the arrival of winter with the completion of just a few more things.

Last but not least, happy birthday to my running buddy. I'm blessed to have her and several others that are true friends.

1 comment:

cuzzin ricky said...

I've heard more then one of his customers say let Pete gorilla weld the damn thing!