Saturday, October 19, 2019

Hiking



They just don't write 'em like this anymore. Of course, that might be a good thing, but I like the old blues and soul stuff. In fact, how about giving me some of that old soul clapping.


I did a "zombie" run/walk yesterday morning. The local schools were out on break and someone decided it would be a good idea to host a run. No tee shirts or prizes and entry was a new toy.  I'm thinking about doing a 10 mile ruck in a few weeks, so I put on my bug-out pack and walked the course - twice in fact. I figured it was going to be a 5K but it was only 1-1/2 miles. I added a bit to it on the second lap, so I got in a good three miles plus. The course had some trails through a wooded area and had a few small hills. I thought the course just ran around the perimeter of the school grounds. It's close enough for me to walk or ride my bike to, so I think I'll be hitting that to train for the 10 mile hike. I've been looking for something to get me motivated to work out again - this should do it.

I need to see if I can find my old poncho in case it rains the day of the ruck. I had one that fit over my backpack years back but I haven't seen it since the last time I went hiking. I'd really like to do some hiking and camping again. It's hard for me to find anyone to go with, however. It's tough to find anyone that's into that sort of thing that has the time but especially tough to find someone my own age who's even ambulatory. My running buddy would be up for it but I'm not so sure the Missus would want me camping with a lovely young lady about 30 years my junior. One of the guys I did The Cowboy Trail with last year might be interested, however. He's retired and is in great shape. Maybe head down state to the Knobstone Trail. I did part of that with a couple of guys from work years ago. Actually, we could ride our motorcycles to Tippecanoe River State Park. They've got some nice hiking trails and the park isn't too crowded this time of year and later. I tent camped there once when it got down to about 4 degrees - had the whole park to myself, believe it or not.

I've got a list of things to get accomplished over the next few days. Picked off a few of them yesterday and I hope to make a little more progress today. Steady by jerks as my old buddy Joey used to say.


No comments: