Thursday, September 26, 2024

16 Tons

 



I saw Tennessee Ernie in a Randolph Scott cowboy movie the other night. He did a song in the movie but these two are the ones I remember growing up. We played the Old Rugged Cross at my Mom's funeral, per her request.


I got a call from the welding instructor at the high school. He's building another high mileage car, an electric one this time. He needed the bore on these little sprockets opened up from 1/4 inch to 5/16 inch. Easy enough - I put the hub part in a collet on the lathe, drill it out a bit and then run a reamer through it. 

While I was out picking up the sprockets, I got a refill on my argon bottle for the welder. I used the welder the other night for Surly's job and I couldn't make it work correctly. I got the job done, just needed to weld a nut on a stud, but I need to figure out what's what, since that's going to be the welder going forward. I hate to admit it, but I dug the manual out. Need to get familiar with all the knobs and adjustments.

A little more clean-up and then start on a couple jobs for others and finish the rear brake on the vintage trials bike. Steady by jerks as my old pal Joey used to say.


No comments: