Sunday, September 22, 2024

5K and More

 

5K on Friday night - 1st place in my age group. Actually, the only one in my age group. My archrival was there and he came in a little over a minute ahead of me. He's 85 now and still puts in the work. He always starts at the front of the pack, I always start at the back to stay out of the way of the runners. If we had started at the same place, I probably could've made a pretty good race out of it. Pretty hot and humid for a 6:00 pm start. Nice event for a small town, though. The awards were either gold or silver feathers, depending on your finish. The feathers represent the Sandhill cranes that the annual festival celebrates.

Boxing matches in Indy last night. Several fighters that we know were on the card. One of the ones we wanted to see had to pull out due to an injury, but the rest of them all got wins. A couple of knockouts, and a couple that went to the cards. Small crowd, though. I'd like to see more fights but it won't happen unless they can fill the seats. This same promoter will be having another fight May 17th of next year. I ran into one of the referees on the way out. He worked several of Jimmy's fights back when. We had a nice chat getting caught up. 

The cleanup on the shop and barn continues. Surly came down Thursday evening and worked on cleaning off the benchtops. He got started on the welding bench and I did a little more Friday. It's supposed to cool off and be a bit more seasonable the upcoming week. That 90-degree stuff when it's usually mid-seventies this time of year, takes a lot of the fun out of project work - it gets to be like a real job. I'm going to keep on the clean-up at least until I/we get a couple more corners cleaned out.

I did get the Himalayan out the other day so I could ride over to give my "expert opinion" on a repair job on an enclosed trailer. The trailer belongs to the president of the ham radio club and after coming up with the plan for the trailer, talk turned to radios. Seems he has a brand new in the box radio like I've been considering. He shot me an excellent price. It needs a power supply and he's going to a ham-fest this weekend. If he comes across a deal, he'll get it for me and then I'll have most everything I need for when I upgrade my license. I plan on studying for the test once the weather gets cold. I bought a study guide but I like the format of the one I used for my Technician license. I'll get that one ordered soon. 

No comments: