Saturday, May 18, 2019

PSA


I rode the Himalayan uptown this morning to cash my check and get a new spray nozzle for the garden hose and came across this - grass clippings across the whole width of the road. You can see there are farm fields along both sides of the road. Absolutely no reason to leave this in the road. I also came across a couple of more spots right down the road from my house with grass in the road. Point the damn discharge chute into the field or yard. Give us cyclists a break!

On the return trip, there was more grass in the road on the corner where the car is in the photo by the way. Of course it's also planting time. Lots of slow moving farm equipment on the roads out in the country and lots of dirt on the road where the farmers access their fields. I don't have a gripe with those folks. That's just part of living in the country but they do create a hazard.

Bikers always have to be careful out on the roads but be extra careful rounding those corners this time of the year.

1 comment:

Rich in Ky said...

Getting caught up with your last 6-7 posts all in one wack. So forgive me for blasting all these comments out at once!

Here's a picture (2008) of the frontage that I mow on our road. Basically between the two driveways - the northern one is to the shop, barn and storage shed, the southern to the house. The county takes care of the rest with mowing machines.

https://goo.gl/maps/StfrPTvmuh4wrmxz5

I have been guilty in the past of blowing the grass from the first swipe in the ditch line out in the road, but stopped after we began seeing pelotons of as many as 50 cyclists using the road. There rides have been going on for a few years now, with no regularity. It's actually a beautiful thing to see and hear. I need to be out there among them.