Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Bicycle Jig






























I made a little progress on the bicycle building jig. The jig was originally for raking and building motorcycle frames. Surly and I bought a pile of bicycle tubing and lugs a couple of years ago. I made myself a bike but he still hasn't been able to find the time to work on his. When I made mine I made a quick and dirty jig but when I got done the bike was a little out of alignment. Not enough to notice when you ride it, but I can tell. I want to build myself a really nice bike, not that I need another one mind you, but one that looks like state of the art 1968. Fleur de lis lugs, small tubes, downtube shifters, nice paint with gold trimmed lugs. A classic looking bike for riding the occasional century or a nice Sunday morning group ride. Those are the Campy dropouts I'm planning on using in the photo. The rolled up paper is a full size drawing of the frame.

With a good jig, Surly and I both can knock out our frames easily enough. Since he already has his tubeset, cost won't be an issue. In my case, might as well spend the money on a bicycle instead of investing it in the stock market. That hasn't worked out too well lately. When we finish with the bicycles, I can finally build the 250 Ducati frame for vintage trials I've been thinking about for years. Or, I might just do that one first. I'm always thinking at least two projects ahead but I swear I'm not starting anything else until a couple of others get finished!

2 comments:

Grumpyunk said...

You're always thinking MORE than 2 projects ahead, Dude. If you live to be 100 you'll still be behind. That's a good thing BTW. Having a mission is good.

Shop Teacher Bob said...

I'm on a roll now, Bro. If I can maintain the pace, I could be caught up when I'm 99. That's as long as I don't dream up any more projects than the ones that are already floating around my skull. Fat chance of that though.