Tuesday, June 30, 2009

End of the Line





















The Chicago Tribune published their last Magazine on Sunday. The Magazine has been published in its modern form since 1953. I've been reading it on and off for almost as long. It ran a feature for a while about people and the jobs they did and a column by Bill (whose last name escapes me right now) I used to read all the time. It used to run John McCutcheon's Injun Summer drawing annually until 2000, when it was "banished by those decrying its description of Native Americans". It always had some nice photographs and typically an architecture, design or fashion story. And of course, it had the big crossword puzzle that kept me busy for a couple of hours while watching a football or baseball game. I usually couldn't fill in all the blanks but every once in a while I managed to complete it.

Some of the features are going to be included in the regular Sunday paper but I'm going to miss the Magazine. It's a shame that the newspapers are all on the ropes. This may be change but it's damn sure not progress.

No comments: