Saturday, June 27, 2009

I Got Spurs That Jingle, Jangle, Jingle


























So why would a shop teacher who rides a bicycle need spurs, you ask? Why not?

A few years back I had some students who were doing some bull riding and we made some spurs. As long as I was involved I figured I'd make myself a pair as well. We do a dress up thing at the school every year and cowboy attire seems to be a recurring theme. Sometimes I wear the spurs and sometimes I loan them out. The original rowels that were on them were both a little rough looking and a little rough on the floor and furniture. I made these round ones the other day from a piece of 1/8" sheet brass. I have another job in the works that I'm going to be needing the spacer head for on the mill, so I used that to drill the holes in the rowels to get a nice layout. I drilled them with a lathe centering bit so I could get a nice countersink on the holes. I still need to put a chain or another leather strap on the spurs to prevent them from sliding up your boot. So technically the job isn't done but they look nice hanging on the wall.

No comments: