Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Seven Trip Tooth

Once upon a time I had a bad tooth and I went to the dentist. He ground the tooth off and put a temporary crown on it.

I went back and had the new crown installed.

I went back a couple of weeks later because I had some pain and I figured there was a high spot. They touched up a spot but didn't really see a lot.

I went back when the real cause of the pain manifested itself in a lump the size of a walnut on the roof of my mouth. They gave me some antibiotics and sent me home.

I went back after allowing the antibiotics to kick in and they started a root canal procedure. There was still too much infection to tackle the whole operation.

I went back to get phase two of the root canal done today. After drilling and filing and Lord only knows what else, he put a temporary filling in just in case it's not completely cured yet.

I go back in a couple of weeks and get the temporary filling replaced with a permanent one.

Just a good thing I've got insurance and sick days. In fact, I'm really starting to enjoy taking a day off every week. To paraphrase Ernie Banks: Its a great week for a sick day. Lets take two.

3 comments:

Grumpyunk said...

Damn Dude. That's harsh for one tooth.

But like you always used to say, "Be true to your teeth or they will be false to you."

I got wigged out on dentistry by a fucking Army dentist who pulled 3 wisdom teeth in 28 minutes. That was from the time I sat down in the chair.
Broke my friggin' jaw. It took me a long time to get back to going to the dentist voluntarily.

I miss Uncle George. He was the best ever. He was smart enough to NOT give me gas.

Hope you're feeling better, Bro.

Shop Teacher Bob said...

It gets better. The damn thing is flaring up again. Looks like one more round of antibiotics and root canal work. Which means he'll put a temporary filling in again, so I'll have to make at least two more trips back. I just need to get this all tightened up before my bicycle trip.

Uncle George was all aces, that's for sure. Dr.s Eric and Jack do a pretty good job, though. I think this episode is just one of those things that happens every once in a while.

Grumpyunk said...

Never met Jack & haven't seen Eric in a long time. Just to far for me.

It's a damn shame that a tooth gives ya such trouble.
I don't recommend that you shoot that tooth with a shotgun. You probably knew that.