Thursday, July 22, 2010

Bits & Pieces









Iron Head
















Iron Leaf






Couple of pieces from fair projects, or maybe mediocre projects, we'll have to wait and see. The iron head goes with a stand I'm making for some fireplace tools that I made last summer. The leaf is part of a candle holder. I'm just kind of winging it this summer. The shop is small, the tooling is limited and the crowds are small as well. We've had several friends and former students stop by to see us, which is very nice of course, but the majority of the crowd just passes us by. It's nice that I get a chance to work in a blacksmith's shop and tinker and it's always a lot of fun working with Craig and this year Andy as well. It's also nice to give something back to the community but if you're not reaching too many people, you have to wonder if it's worth it, especially when the temperature in the building is 100 before you light the fire. Maybe I'll put some effort into planning and next year have them all standing in awe "when I make my masterpiece" as Bob Dylan once sang. Then I could go retire out and be known county wide as the blacksmith who didn't know much but he worked real cheap.

Off to the fair.

No comments: