Wednesday, July 7, 2010

New Kicks






























As Ed Sullivan used to say, "A really big shoe", or something like that.

I bought myself some new running shoes to tackle the marathon with. I went to Human Race Sports and they put me on this cool little gizmo that checked my feet. You stand on two rubber pads and a digital image pops ups right in front of your eyes that shows an outline of your feet and where the pressure of your feet is the greatest. Red indicates the highest pressure fading to yellow and then blue where the pressure is the least. The store owner noticed right away that I stand with my feet splayed out a little - duck footed, as it were. I never really noticed it and I seem to run with both of my feet pointing straight forward but after he pointed it out I did see what he meant. I do know there's a difference between my right and left feet/legs when I'm pedaling the bicycle. The salesman took a couple of extra shots using some orthotics, including the arch supports I normally wear in my running shoes and work boots. They then use that information to help recommend the type of shoe best suited for your particular feet and the type of running you're planning on doing. There's something to be said for going to a professional.

Short story long, I ended up with some new shoes. Size 15, no less! I usually wear a 12 or 13 but running shoes always seem to be a little skimpy in the size department. Never had a pair of 15's before, though. Maybe my big toe won't come poking through any time soon this way. I put 4 miles in this morning and they felt pretty good. Legs just a little tender this afternoon but I haven't been running much plus the mechanics of new shoes always brings on a little tenderness. So the marathon training is officially underway, both for myself and my partner at the gym, Jimmy. The Whistlestop Marathon course is open for 6 hours, so all we have to do is stay under about a 14 minute/mile pace and we're marathoners.

1 comment:

Grumpyunk said...

15? Wow. That's funny because my latest pair of boots were 12 wide. Like you, I haven't seen a size 12 since high school.