Friday, September 10, 2010

Winterizing Bicycles















Maybe I'll set the touring bike up with a sink, then I too could be clean shaven. Since I've been clean shaven only once in the last thirty years or so, I can't see that happening. I did actually consider shaving the beard off this summer but I applied for a job and didn't want to have to go in for an interview with most of my face all tanned up except for a big white stripe running around my chin from ear to ear.















Since the weather was so nice last Sunday and I didn't feel like working too hard after a late breakfast with Surly, I decided to get the "winter" bikes out. The one on the left is an old Peugeot mountain bike that my brother gave me when he got out of the Army. I'm not sure how old it is but I've had it probably 25 years. I made a headlight for it from a 6 volt lantern that I bought from WalMart and I ride it when I know I'm liable to get caught riding home in the dark.

The one on the right is one that I made a couple of years ago and I posted about previously. I had it hanging up in the barn and managed to knock it down, pushing the rear fender into the tire. When I put the fenders on the bike originally, the bracket I made interfered with the rear brake. I took care of that, patched a hole in the tube and washed both of the bikes.

I have two routes that I take to work when cycling. One is all paved road and seven miles long. The other is only four miles but there is a half mile worth of gravel road. When the weather is nice and the days are long, I take a road bike and go the long way. When the weather is bad or the days are short, I take the shorter way. That's where the "winter" bikes come in.

Whatever strange affliction I've been suffering has eased up substantially. I worked out last week and I actually felt something loosen up. Since I'm feeling better, I want to get back on the bikes - the fleet's ready when I am.

No comments: